Thursday, April 9, 2009

Maundy Thursday – Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Teacher & Martyr, 1945

The deceit, the lie of the devil consists of this that he wishes to make man believe that he can live without God's Word. Thus he dangles before man's fantasy a kingdom of faith, of power, and of peace, into which only he can enter who consents to the temptations; and he conceals from men that he, as the devil, is the most unfortunate and unhappy of beings, since he is finally and eternally rejected by God. (D. Bonhoeffer)

Dear Lord, I thank you for the numerous people who have gone before me as great witnesses of your love. I praise you that their faith stories have been told again and again and that I learn and am strengthened by them. May I live my life as a bold witness for you! Amen.
(From "Daily Texts")

89 Your word, O LORD, is eternal;
it stands firm in the heavens.
90 Your faithfulness continues through all generations;
you established the earth, and it endures.
91 Your laws endure to this day,
for all things serve you.
92 If your law had not been my delight,
I would have perished in my affliction.
94 Save me, for I am yours;
I have sought out your precepts.
96 To all perfection I see a limit;
but your commands are boundless.
Psalm 119 New Revised Standard Version

Readings for today from the Daily Lectionary
(click on underlined link to go directly to the reading):
Jeremiah 20:7-181 Corinthians 10:14-17; 11:27-32 - John 17:1-26

No comments: