Monday, November 28, 2011

Silent Night, In the midst of all the frantic activity that surrounds me these hectic Advent days, perhaps I need a little silence, Lord, some time to contemplate, to meditate ... time to listen for your voice in the voices of the angels ... and that infant Voice which, in the beginning, brought all things into existence. When I am tempted to babble, to complain, or to fill the air with noise for its own sake (or for mine), give me the gift you gave to Your prophet Elijah once in the midst of all his turmoil. Grant me, for at least a few moments each day this Advent, the gift of silence. Amen.
(Arden W. Mead)

1 Give ear to my words, O LORD;
   consider my groaning.
2 Give attention to the sound of my cry,
   my King and my God, for to you do I pray.
3 O LORD, in the morning you hear my voice;
   in the morning I prepare a sacrifice for you and watch.
4 For you are not a God who delights in wickedness;
   evil may not dwell with you.
5 The boastful shall not stand before your eyes;
   you hate all evildoers.
6 You destroy those who speak lies;
   the LORD abhors the bloodthirsty and deceitful man.
Psalm 5 – English Standard Version

Readings for today from the Daily Lectionary
(click on underlined link to go directly to the reading)

No comments: