Thursday, December 15, 2011

Heavenly Father, in your Word you have given us a vision of that holy City to which the nations of the world bring their glory: Behold and visit, we pray, the cities of the earth. Renew the ties of mutual regard which form our civic life. Send us honest and able leaders. Enable us to eliminate poverty, prejudice and oppression, that peace may prevail with righteousness, and justice with order, and that men and women from different cultures and with differing talents may find with one another the fulfillment of their humanity; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.


1 Hear my prayer, O LORD; give ear to my pleas for mercy!
   In your faithfulness answer me, in your righteousness!
2 Enter not into judgment with your servant,
   for no one living is righteous before you.
3 For the enemy has pursued my soul; he has crushed my life to the ground;
   he has made me sit in darkness like those long dead.
4 Therefore my spirit faints within me;
   my heart within me is appalled.
5 I remember the days of old; I meditate on all that you have done;
   I ponder the work of your hands.
6 I stretch out my hands to you;
   my soul thirsts for you like a parched land.
Psalm 143 – English Standard Version

Readings for today from the Daily Lectionary
(click on underlined link to go directly to the reading)

No comments: