Wednesday, September 12, 2007

When someone says words that hurt, I usually want to cause pain in return. But Your Word tells me that's not the right response, even if it is my first thought. My harsh anger does not benefit me or the other person. Instead, we'll end up in a circle of wrath that will last as long as our hard words and painful memories remain.
I don't want to live that way, Lord. Instead I'd like to have Your peace in every corner of my life. So when that harsh answer leaps to my mind, help me bite my tongue. Please give me soft, appealing words that will ease the situation instead of escalating it. Amen.
(From "Light for My Path - Prayers & Promises")

12 For the sins of their mouths,
for the words of their lips,
let them be caught in their pride.
For the curses and lies they utter,
15 They wander about for food
and howl if not satisfied.
16 But I will sing of your strength,
in the morning I will sing of your love;
for you are my fortress,
my refuge in times of trouble.
17 O my Strength, I sing praise to you;
you, O God, are my fortress, my loving God.
Psalm 59 New International Version

Readings for today from the Daily Lectionary
(click on underlined link to go directly to the reading):
1 Kings 3:1-15Acts 27:9-26 - Mark 14:1-11

No comments: