Thursday, March 5, 2009

My Lord, I know not what I ought to ask of You. You and You alone know my needs. You love me more than I am able to love You. O Father, grant unto me, Your servant, all which I cannot ask. For a cross I dare not ask, nor for consolation; I dare only to stand in Your presence. My heart is open to You. You see my needs of which I myself am unaware. Behold and lift me up! In Your presence I stand, awed and silenced by Your will and Your judgments, into which my mind cannot penetrate. To You I offer myself as a sacrifice. No other desire is mine but to fulfill Your will. Teach me how to pray. You your self pray within me. Amen.
- St. Philaret of Moscow

1 Contend, O LORD, with those who contend with me;
fight against those who fight against me.
2 Take up shield and buckler;
arise and come to my aid.
3 Brandish spear and javelin against those who pursue me.
Say to my soul, "I am your salvation."
4 May those who seek my life be disgraced and put to shame;
may those who plot my ruin be turned back in dismay.
5 May they be like chaff before the wind,
with the angel of the LORD driving them away;
6 may their path be dark and slippery,
with the angel of the LORD pursuing them.
Psalm 35 New International Version

Readings for today from the Daily Lectionary
(click on underlined link to go directly to the reading):
Deuteronomy 9:23-10:5Hebrews 4:1-10John 3:16-21

No comments: