Monday, September 12, 2011

Lord, sometimes I'm overwhelmed by the troubles in this world. I feel hopeless even though I know You are my hope. I feel inadequate to do anything significant that might help change all the crisis our nation is experiencing.
So I'm calling on You, Holy Spirit, to set my mind on the things I can do, on a daily basis, and on the people I can help, one at a time. Lift this spirit of oppression off of me; take my thoughts to a heavenly place where I can get an eternal view of Your plans and purposes. Renew my mind with Your truth and erase all doubt and discouragement. And help me remember that with You I am infinitely powerful to accomplish whatever is needed to make a difference for eternity. In Jesus' name. Amen.
(From "Prayers to My King" by Sheri Rose Shepherd)

1 Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me, for in you my soul takes refuge;
    in the shadow of your wings I will take refuge, until the destroying storms pass by.
2 I cry to God Most High,
   to God who fulfils his purpose for me.
3 He will send from heaven and save me, he will put to shame those who trample on me.
   God will send forth his steadfast love and his faithfulness.
4 I lie down among lions that greedily devour* human prey;
   their teeth are spears and arrows, their tongues sharp swords.
5 Be exalted, O God, above the heavens.
   Let your glory be over all the earth.
6 They set a net for my steps; my soul was bowed down.
   They dug a pit in my path, but they have fallen into it themselves.
Psalm 57 – English Standard Version

Readings for today from the Daily Lectionary
(click on underlined link to go directly to the reading)

No comments: