Thursday, December 4, 2008

John of Damascus, Priest (ca 760)

Father,
You are the God of abundant blessings.
It's easy to lose sight of my own blessings when I am busy being envious of what others have. And it's easy to devalue who I am when I overvalue someone else because I am jealous. You show me that I am a person of faith and have no need to be envious because my personal journey through life and my experience is unique. You are the God who blesses me with more than enough. Help me, Lord, to open my eyes and see a new reality. Amen
(From "Everyday Prayers for Everyday Cares")

14 The LORD is my strength and my song;
he has become my salvation.
15 Shouts of joy and victory
resound in the tents of the righteous:
"The LORD's right hand has done mighty things!
16 The LORD's right hand is lifted high;
the LORD's right hand has done mighty things!"
17 I will not die but live,
and will proclaim what the LORD has done.
18 The LORD has chastened me severely,
but he has not given me over to death.
19 Open for me the gates of righteousness;
I will enter and give thanks to the LORD.
Psalm 118 New International Version

Readings for today from the Daily Lectionary
(click on underlined link to go directly to the reading):
Isaiah 2:5-221 Thessalonians 3:1-13Luke 20:27-40

No comments: