Thursday, February 7, 2008

Father, while visiting a pioneer village with my family some years ago, we watched a blacksmith making horseshoes. He held the iron bar on the anvil as his other arm swung the heavy hammer. To shape the horseshoe, he moved the iron but kept the hammer going at a steady pace, as if playing a tune. He could work for hours without getting tired because he let the hammer have its way.
Father, help me recognize the advantages of keeping in tune with Your decrees. Many of my problems come from trying to bend Your will to my goals. Instead, help me work with You rather than against You. Amen.
(From "Prayers & Promises")

1 Contend, O LORD, with those who contend with me;
fight against those who fight against me.
2 Take up shield and buckler;
arise and come to my aid.
3 Brandish spear and javelin against those who pursue me.
Say to my soul, "I am your salvation."
9 Then my soul will rejoice in the LORD
and delight in his salvation.
10 My whole being will exclaim, "Who is like you, O LORD ?
You rescue the poor from those too strong for them,
the poor and needy from those who rob them."
Psalm 35 New International Version

Readings for today from the Daily Lectionary
(click on underlined link to go directly to the reading):
Habakkuk 3:1-18Philippians 3:12-21John 17:1-8

No comments: