Monday, February 23, 2009

Polycarp, Bishop of Smyrna, Martyr (156)

Father,
You call me to be a peacemaker.
Petty arguments, grudges, gossip, anger, and jealousy -- all of these create a war in my heart. How easy it is to take up weapons against other people, putting pride before compassion. Thank You, Lord, for commanding me to disarm, to help the peaceable kingdom come. As I make my peace with You, bring inner peace to all my relationships. Give me a peaceful heart with which to conquer the world with love. Amen.
(From "Everyday Prayers for Everyday Cares")

41 May your unfailing love come to me, O LORD,
your salvation according to your promise;
42 then I will answer the one who taunts me,
for I trust in your word.
43 Do not snatch the word of truth from my mouth,
for I have put my hope in your laws.
44 I will always obey your law,
for ever and ever.
45 I will walk about in freedom,
for I have sought out your precepts.
48 I lift up my hands to your commands, which I love,
and I meditate on your decrees.
Psalm 119 New International Version

Readings for today from the Daily Lectionary
(click on underlined link to go directly to the reading):
Deuteronomy 6:1-15Hebrews 1:1-14John 1:1-18

No comments: