Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Erik, King of Sweden, Martyr

O God, who called your servant Erik of Sweden to an earthly Throne that he might advance your heavenly kingdom, and gave him zeal for your Church and love for your people: Mercifully grant that we who commemorate him this day may be fruitful in good works, and attain to the glorious crown of your saints; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.

1I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart;
I will tell of all your wonderful deeds.
2I will be glad and exult in you;
I will sing praise to your name, O Most High.
3When my enemies turned back,
they stumbled and perished before you.
4For you have maintained my just cause;
you have sat on the throne giving righteous judgement.
5You have rebuked the nations, you have destroyed the wicked;
you have blotted out their name for ever and ever.
6The enemies have vanished in everlasting ruins;
their cities you have rooted out;
the very memory of them has perished.
7But the Lord sits enthroned for ever,
he has established his throne for judgement.
Psalm 9 New Revised Standard Version

Readings for today from the Daily Lectionary
(click on underlined link to go directly to the reading)
1 Samuel 16:1-13 - Ephesians 3:14-21 - Matthew 8:18-27

No comments: