Thursday, December 13, 2007

God of light, be the hope of our suffering. Keep us from the darkness of sin and greed; keep us from the mindless quest for superiority and success, from the depravity of hatred and anger. Astonish us with your mercy and love so that we may never forget your faithful compassion. Let us use this time of waiting to recover our bearings and refrain from afflicting anyone with our own sins, no matter how insignificant they may seem to be. Amen.
(Thomas Merton)

15 The valleys of the sea were exposed
and the foundations of the earth laid bare
at your rebuke, O LORD,
at the blast of breath from your nostrils.
16 He reached down from on high and took hold of me;
he drew me out of deep waters.
17 He rescued me from my powerful enemy,
from my foes, who were too strong for me.
18 They confronted me in the day of my disaster,
but the LORD was my support.
19 He brought me out into a spacious place;
he rescued me because he delighted in me.
20 The LORD has dealt with me according to my righteousness;
according to the cleanness of my hands he has rewarded me.
Psalm 18 New International Version

Readings for today from the Daily Lectionary
(click on underlined link to go directly to the reading):
Amos 9:1-10Revelation 2:8-17 - Matthew 23:13-26

No comments: