Monday, December 17, 2007

Shoot of Jesse, our roots go back to that garden in Eden, to the paradise sold for an apple. The birth of your Son has reopened the gates of heaven and rained down blessings on our parched souls. As we relish the new light of the sun which nurtures our own "gardens" on earth, let us develop into real people who talk not about love but who actually practice the love of God (and through Him, love for their neighbors) with a radiant peace. Let us flower in the place you have given us. Amen.
(Thomas Merton)

1 I waited patiently for the LORD;
he turned to me and heard my cry.
2 He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.
3 He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD.
4 Blessed is the man who makes the LORD his trust,
who does not look to the proud,
to those who turn aside to false gods.
5 Many, O LORD my God, are the wonders you have done.
The things you planned for us no one can recount to you;
were I to speak and tell of them, they would be too many to declare.
Psalm 40 New International Version

Readings for today from the Daily Lectionary
(click on underlined link to go directly to the reading):
Zechariah 1:7-17Revelation 3:7-13 - Matthew 24:15-31

No comments: