Friday, December 7, 2007

O Lord, awake us from the comfortable existence in which we too often may be safely cocooned, and challenge us to accept the call of our baptism. Afflict us with your grace so that we take seriously our efforts to aid the poor, to comfort the sad and lonely, to let our light shine as a beacon to all who may need our help. Allow us to serve also as a wake-up call to our brothers and sisters whose companionship in Christ we share. Amen.
(Thomas Merton)

1 Hear my prayer, O LORD;
let my cry for help come to you.
2 Do not hide your face from me when I am in distress.
Turn your ear to me; when I call, answer me quickly.
3 For my days vanish like smoke;
my bones burn like glowing embers.
11 My days are like the evening shadow;
I wither away like grass.
12 But you, O LORD, sit enthroned forever;
your renown endures through all generations.
13 You will arise and have compassion on Zion,
for it is time to show favor to her;
the appointed time has come.
Psalm 18 New International Version

Readings for today from the Daily Lectionary
(click on underlined link to go directly to the reading):
Amos 5:1-17Jude 1-16 - Matthew 22:1-14

No comments: