Friday, November 23, 2007

Father,
You provide a way out of temptation.
I can't say, "The devil made me do it." No, You have given me the priceless gift of free will, and I will not cheapen that gift by allowing another to control me. But I do fall into temptation, and sometimes I feel so weak. Help me to make the right choice -- to follow You rather that my greedy self-will. And thank You for Your promise that You will always provide a way for me to escape temptation. All I need to do is use it. Amen.
(From "Everyday Prayers for Everyday Cares")

1 Oh, what joy for those whose disobedience is forgiven,
whose sin is put out of sight!
2 Yes, what joy for those whose record the Lord has cleared of guilt,
whose lives are lived in complete honesty!
3 When I refused to confess my sin, my body wasted away,
and I groaned all day long.
4 Day and night your hand of discipline was heavy on me.
My strength evaporated like water in the summer heat.
5 Finally, I confessed all my sins to you
and stopped trying to hide my guilt.
I said to myself, “I will confess my rebellion to the Lord.”
And you forgave me! All my guilt is gone.
Psalm 32 New Living Translation

Readings for today from the Daily Lectionary
(click on underlined link to go directly to the reading):
Ezra 7:27-28; 8:21-36Revelation 15:1-8 - Matthew 14:13-21

No comments: