Thursday, November 8, 2007

You are my perfect Father, but I am Your imperfect child, full of human failings and sometimes in need of correction. If You did not love me, You would ignore my misdeeds, leaving me to my own devices and letting the chips fall where they may, but You do not do this. You love me and therefore correct me, as I do with my own children.
Like my children, I do not always welcome correction. I pout; I avoid You; I try to go my own way. I even say, "It's not my fault!" as if I were not responsible for my own actions. In times like these, be patient with me, Father, because I cannot live without Your love. Amen.
(From "Prayers & Promises")

8 The LORD is compassionate and gracious,
slow to anger, abounding in love.
9 He will not always accuse,
nor will he harbor his anger forever;
10 he does not treat us as our sins deserve
or repay us according to our iniquities.
11 For as high as the heavens are above the earth,
so great is his love for those who fear him;
12 as far as the east is from the west,
so far has he removed our transgressions from us.
13 As a father has compassion on his children,
so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him;
Psalm 103 New International Version

Readings for today from the Daily Lectionary
(click on underlined link to go directly to the reading):
Ezra 1:1-11 - 1 Corinthians 16:1-9 - Matthew 12:15-21

No comments: